Friday, September 4, 2009

"Hosbibble"

Yesterday, Blake, Sam and I took a quick trip to the hospital.
There is good news and bad news.The bad news (as many of you have already heard), we had a miscarriage a few weeks ago. For whatever reason, my body was not letting go, so my doctor scheduled a D&C.

The good news. Samantha is adorable. We have a lot of funny stories from our few hours at the "hosbibble" ... as she calls it.

It was quite the family affair. We all went together to check in and do the pre-op stuff. As we walked in the doors to register, Sam was greeted by Al...whom apparently everyone that works at the hospital, knows. He works at the front desk and was pleased to meet Samantha. He gave her a little rubber duck that looked like a lion. She felt pretty special. Now, remember, she carries quite a few "friends" around with her nowadays. She was already lugging around Donald Duck and Minnie Mouse (this is after we talked in out of bringing the whole gang). So, one more toy and we were on our way.

After we were registered, we did a count of all my new "bracelets" and headed upstairs. We were greeted by the nurses station. Samantha introduced herself..."Hi, I'm Sammie." The nurses asked who she was with...she said, "This is my mommy and this is Blake." That got a few laughs. She calls us by our first names now. It's really cute and weird at the same time. A few more bracelets and we got settled in our room. The nurses and anathesiologist all came in to say hello...but Sam kept asking, "where is Docca Cole?" Dr Cole was the last visitor and Sam was thrilled to see her and asked, "Where have you been? Have you been eating?"

Blake and Sam headed downstairs to visit the cafeteria and meet Pappa and Grandma while I was wheeled in for the surgery. It was pretty quick and painless. We were home in just a few hours. Papa and Grandma had taken Sam home to "take a nap." This rarely happens with those 2 in charge. We came home to a slumber party in Sam's room with everyone still awake. They were trying to tell Sammie where I was. Their conversation went something like this.
"Why is mama is the hosbibble?"
"How did mama get hurt?"
"Did someone push her?"
No.
"Did someone hit her?"
No.
"Did someone knock her down?"
No.
At least she is learning it is not a good thing to do those things. Our 3 rules for playing are still in effect: No hitting, no pushing and always share.

Overall, it was a day to remember. Luckily, the emotional side of dealing with the miscarriage was well behind us, as we found out 2 1/2 weeks ago. Otherwise, this would have been a lot harder to deal with. We had a lot of family and friends sending flowers, food and well wishes which makes everything easier to bear. We are grateful to have the physical side of this over with. It was really something hanging over us and causing a lot of anxiety. I am feeling great and have no more excuses to being lazy and start losing these lousy 5 pounds that crept up on me!

4 comments:

Marci said...

I didn't know you were going through all this Jamie, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you have your family here to help you out and be a source of comfort to you. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!

Melissa said...

Kids are so cute and have a way of making you smile even in rough times. Sorry you had to go through that. I have been through a few miscarriages myself, and it's not fun, and I don't wish it on anyone. I'm glad that you are doing well now though!

sarah said...

Jamie--

I was so sad to hear about this. Isn't it amazing though how a little 3 year old can help smile the pain away. I am glad the physical part is now over for you. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you!!

The Esquivel Family said...

My heart breaks for you, but your strength is amazing. Take care...and if you need anything my Mom is literally just down the street and I can send her your way :)