Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Bili-Bed

On Monday, Alayna had her first appointment to see her pediatrician. When we checked out of the hospital, her bilirubin count was at 9.9. She is very sleepy and not a great eater, so that contributed to it going up to the danger level of 15.9. Yikes! The scary number for her weight class is 18, at which point she would be admitted to the hospital. In order to avoid that, the doctor ordered us a phototherpy unit...aka...the bili-bed. She has been resting comfortably on the lights, 24 hr/day for the past 2 days. The only time we can take her off is to eat...which we have been forcing her awake every 3 hours to nurse and supplement with 2 oz of formula...it's a battle to keep her awake that long.
After 2 days and 3 doctor/lab visits, the bilirubin count has gone from 15.9 to 14.7 to 9.5! Hooray! We are done and now need to get her nursing and off the bottle.
I seriously cannot get enough pictures of Sammie and Alayna. They can't seem to get enough of each other. Sam will hold her while she watches a show...sometimes close to an hour!
p.s.
Pregnancy hormones are NOTHING compared to postpartum hormones. I am starving all the time, can't get enough bananas to fill my craving and can cry and cry and cry. You can imagine what a wreck I turned into when this jaundice and feeding became a concern. Thanks to all those that have had to endure the tears. :)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Congrats!! So glad she is here and healthy! My older 2 boys had to do the bili-bed thing... Brayden was in it for a WEEK!! It killed me! I cried alot too. It's hard to not be able to hold your brand new baby whenever you want to! So glad she didn't have to be in it for too long though. She looks perfect!! So happy for you guys!

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Yeah! She's here! So glad she is healthy and doing so well now! She looks like Blake to me but then again, I haven't seen your baby pics so I could be way off! I think Sam looks like you. :) Happy baby!!!

Jen and Bryan said...

She's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I love the name, too. Blue is definitely her color but I'm glad she's getting better. Congrats to you, Blake, and Miss Samantha. Love you guys!!

Katy Schepis Edmondson said...

Congrats!!!! Im so happy for your beautiful family. I see that Sammie is a very proud big sister. Congrats again.